Where is Perl located in Linux ?
/usr/bin/perl , Add #!/usr/bin/perl -w: in your Perl scripts header.
After that, you should find where the Perl is located at.
To learn more about Perl, you can continue to scroll and read the rest of the article.
Definition & Features
PERL stands for Practical Extraction and Reporting Language (unofficial acronym). It is a stable and cross-platform language. Larry Wall was the one who created Perl. It is an open-source, general-purpose, interpreted language. Moreover, we call the programs written in “Perl scripts”. Furthermore, Perl supports both Procedural language an Object-Oriented language. Besides, it has powerful support for text processing and has a collection of third-party modules. Often, we use Perl language mainly for Web Applications, System Administration, Batch Processing, Applications involving text processing, and most command-line applications.
Here are some features of Perl language:
- Perl takes the best features from other languages, such as C, awk, sed, sh, and BASIC, among others.
- Perl’s database integration interface DBI supports third-party databases including Oracle, Sybase, Postgres, MySQL, and others.
- Works with HTML, XML, and other mark-up languages.
- Supports Unicode.
- Supports both procedural and object-oriented programming.
- Interfaces with external C/C++ libraries through XS or SWIG.
- It is extensible.
- Its interpreter can be embedded in other systems.
Different Applications of Perl:
Nowadays, the Perl language is widely accepted by developers. There are many different technology solutions that use this language. For example, application development, test automation, website development, XML manipulation, configuration management, CGI programming, and Bioinformatics. Besides that, it also includes system administration, game development, databases, GUI development, desktop apps, and much more.
Furthermore, Perl is universally adopted. We can see it on different platforms for its coding and development capabilities. As the scope of Perl technology has widened in the past few years, Perl programming solutions has become one of the best options. Thus it is able to fulfill the custom software development need of many businesses.